Process and Training: Using the New BLUE System
The Evaluation Process
1. Department Key Contacts Review of Courses, Forms, and Date Ranges
- Receive email invitations to review courses in the BLUE Data Integrity Gateway (review training materials here).
- Confirm and submit any changes by the due date specified in the invitation.
- If any changes to the instructors of record for a course are made after the start of the semester through the last day of classes or later, please inform OADS so that changes can be mirrored within the BLUE system. Please note that only the faculty actually teaching the course should be listed in Banner since everyone who is listed will be evaluated and the record cannot be corrected once the survey is open to students.
2. Faculty Review and Add Custom Questions
- Receive email invitations to log into BLUE and add custom questions as applicable.
3. Students Receive Evaluation Invitations
- Once the survey becomes available, the students will receive email reminders listing the courses for which they still have pending evaluations. These emails will contain a link to the BLUE website, where students can log-in using their NetID and password.
- The Main Campus Executive Faculty has recommended that the default method for administration of the course evaluations be changed such that the new standard is for faculty to reserve at least 15 minutes of class time during the last week of classes. Please remind students that they will need to use a laptop, tablet, smartphone, or other mobile device during class on that date in order to access the survey.
4. Evaluation Periods Closes & Faculty Submit Grades
- The evaluation survey will close before final exams begin and before grades for the semester become available to students.
- Faculty do not receive any evaluation results until after all grades have been submitted for each course.
5. Evaluation Report Made Available
- The online evaluations are completely anonymous. Instructors, departments/programs and Deans can see feedback in an aggregated form or as individual response sets, but the responses are never attributed to specific students. Instructors, departments/programs and Deans will not be able to determine which students completed evaluations and which students did not.
- Faculty never receive any information about which students submitted which responses. Also, faculty will not be able to determine who completed their evaluations and who did not.
- The results of some questions are published online in the schedule of classes available to students through MyAccess. Faculty have the ability to opt out of having their results published there.
OADS does not, by default, evaluate the following types of sections:
- Sections with only three or less students enrolled
- Internships, labs, recitations, or independent studies
- Courses taught in certain departments, such as ENFL, ATHL, DEVM, ECIL, SABR, UROP
- Courses with the following course numbers: 999, 997, 992, 991, 902, 901, 302, 301
- Courses with the following sections numbers: 60-69
- Courses ending outside the standard course end date for the semester unless notified
- Teaching assistants
Courses included in the above categories can be evaluated by OADS if requested by the faculty or department responsible for the course. To have such courses included for evaluation, faculty and department administrators must contact OADS at firstname.lastname@example.org at the beginning of each semester.